logo

Feedback

January 22nd, 2010 by Bryan

Found a problem? Want to say something? Please let us know what you think, and if you see something that isn’t quite right. Post in the comments below and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can! Or use our contact form.

57 Responses to “Feedback”

• Claire says:

Firstly I think this site looks great, and once it gets a lot of data in it, it has the potential to be fantastic!

A couple of things I’d like to see from what I’ve done so far:

When planning trip – I would like to plan in local currency, and have the budget auto convert to my currency – that way I don’t need to reconvert to update
    Also, it would be great to interlink with the estimate costs fuction – i.e. to import the average daily cost rather than needing to enter individually.

Happy to explain further if necessary

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Thanks so much for the feedback Claire! We’re actually working on both of your ideas.

Currently, when “tracking your trip” you can enter data with either your local or home currency. We plan to allow this in the near future for “planning your trip” also.

Your idea for interlinking the estimate costs section to the planning section is great, and something we are actually planning to do. As our amount of data grows, this will become easier and more relevant.

When we have more data, you will also be able to search costs by trip expense (budget, mid-range, luxury), trip type (business or personal), and number of travelers.

Keep the suggestions coming! And please let us know if you find any glitches or have any complaints. We’re a team of two, but we’re working hard to make this site useful for everyone.

• April says:

That’s exactly the website i’m looking for! Here are some things if can be improved:

1. “save as” button: .xls or .pdf file
    2. “private link” button: especially if i want to keep my budget plan not in public to others but just few people I choose, who can access the page by the unique link.

Thanks for your great job!

• Richard Pozzuto says:

Can’t seem to add anything to the budget or do much of anything. It keeps saying, “There are no activities planned with selected criteria.”

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Richard, we believe that we have fixed a bug that was causing your problem. Please try it out now. Thanks for letting us know!

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Hi Richard,
    I’m looking into what your problem might be. Sorry for the inconvenience. We’re still working on making the website as easy to use as possible. We’ll be upgrading the website a lot over the next few weeks.

Several quick things jump to mind:

1) First and foremost, this site requires javascript. Javascript must be enabled before you use the website.

2) Make sure all the fields are filled in before you add the expense.

3) To fill in a location, it must be a city, and it must be selected from the dropdown autofill list or the map (we’re working on making this more user friendly in the future).

4) Confirm that both currency fields have numbers in them. You can swap between your home currency and the local currency with the arrows. Once you hover over the “Add” tab it should convert automatically.

If you’re still having problems could you send me a specific email outlining the problems at info[at]budgetyourtrip[dot]com. Specifically I need to know which form you’re using to add expenses (the bulk or quick upload forms).

Thanks!

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Thanks April for the feedback! We’re working on creating a downloadable spreadsheet for budget tracking to allow easier uploading to the website. That is a plan for the future. Having the ability to download spreadsheets of your own information is a great idea, too!

You actually can make your trip data private. When you create a trip select “private” instead of “public” from the “Make a trip public?” dropdown. Your tracked expenses will still be used in the “estimate costs” calculations but nobody else can view your trip specifically without logging into your account. Having a “private” link though is a great idea, we’ll look into that!

• Rebecca says:

Hi,

So uber excited about this site, have already shared with a few friends.

Unfortunately, when trying to log in or create a trip i get the following error message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/12/d310477359/htdocs/include/tripDAO.php:173) in /homepages/12/d310477359/htdocs/docreatetrip.php on line 17

Cheers!

rebecca

• treven says:

Couple of comments:

- When adding expenses, shouldn’t the date month default to the date month for the beginning of the trip? Every time I enter an expense I have to tab over from Feb to Sept when the trip is planned.
    - Once expenses are added, the only option is to delete them, why no edit? Its a pain to delete & re-enter with updated info.
    - I was adding an expense for Avignon, and the first option “avignon region of france” was not selectable for some reason, so I just picked some other random location w/ similar name

Otherwise this site & idea have promise.

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Thanks Treven for your comments! We’re working on each of those items. Check back in a couple of days and hopefully we’ll have addressed them. If you notice anything else, or have any suggestions definitely pass them along!

• Freddy says:

Another thing to would be nice if we could delete a Budget Plan or a start over button. Also a mass edit/delete on items would be a great feature to have instead of having to start over, or delete one by one.

• Bryan says:

Thanks Freddy, we’ll add those things to the list. Mass edit/delete is already something that we’ve identified as putting into the next update, so hang in there a little longer and we’ll get it going soon for you.

• KayB says:

I agree with treven. An option to edit an expense would be very helpful and time saving.

Also, for some reason I am not able to sway currencies when adding an expense in the “Plan your Trip” tab. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, though I was not able to fix this. Any help on this would be great.

Overall I think this idea is brilliant and I am sure it would grow really fast.Cheers.

• KayB says:

**I meant – I am not able to switch currencies when adding an expense in the “Plan your Trip” tab.

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Hi KayB! We’re working on making the website easier and more convenient to use. Can you tell me which country you’re trying to enter expenses from. What two currencies are you trying to swap? A couple of our currencies have been out of date creating this problem. We’re working on fixing it.

Thanks!
      Laurie

• KayB says:

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the quick reply. The 2 currencies I was looking for my current trip to Rajasthan, India were

1. Rupees (as the default currency which I have already set) and
        2. US Dollars($)

• Robert Roskam says:

Having trouble inputting the correct dates. While I found the correct format after inputting dates correctly once, I inputted the dates for an activity; however, the dates did not come out correctly but placed them instead as random dates back in the late 1960′s and early 70′s.

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Hi Robert,
      Are you getting the popup calender? This requires javascript to be enabled on your browser. Also, which browser are you using? We’re looking into this. Thanks!

• Magnus says:

What appears to me to be a significant annoyance in an otherwise well designed website is the fact that the calendar does not automatically jump to the period in which you have planned your trip.

In my case I’m planning a trip during the end of the summer. When I started the trip I entered the dates I wanted to travel. Now when I add an expense, the default date should be within the time period of the trip, not today’s date in February

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Hi Magnus,
      We’re aware of this problem. I’ve actually just fixed it, and the new code will go live tonight. If you check back tomorrow you should find the problem resolved.

• Jose says:

From an SEO perspective, you might want to hide the params in the url when you land on a given city’s page

• Grant Peterson says:

Just a small correction: when you are displaying yen, it shouldn’t display as ¥2,000.00, only ¥2000. No need for those two decimals!

• Jim says:

Neat idea. Maybe at some point when you have more data we could do a mashup with our site http://www.cost2drive.com.

Jim
    Cost2Go.com

• whitneywoodward says:

Hey –

Just trying this out, seems cool. A couple of notes:

I’m planning a roughly 3 1/2 week trip, where I don’t expect to spend money every day. In budgeting, I’ve entered my airfare and anticipated expenses. The ‘average daily expenditure’ calculated, though, seems to be based only on the # of dates that I entered anticipated expenses … even though it should be calculated based on the length of the trip. So, spending $100 on one day out of a week-long trip (while spending nothing on the six other days of that week) yields a $100/day average expenditure, rather than $14.28.

Also, I’m going on a volunteer trip where I’m going to need to purchase supplies ahead of the trip. Right now, I’ve entered those expenditures as purchases made on the day the trip begins … but it would be awesome if there was a way to enter an anticipated expenditure without a date. Just a general “$100″ camping supplies, or something.

It would also be really cool if you could somehow track what purchases had already been paid for (like, checking off airfare purchased, that sort of thing) or comparing your budget to a fundraising effort.

This all being said, I think the concept is cool and I’m enjoying tinkering around with it. It’s also very possible that some of the things I mentioned can be done, just I haven’t discovered how to, yet! If that’s the case, please feel free to let me know, anyone! ;)

Best, whit

whitney.woodward@gmail.com

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Thanks Whitney! Those are some great suggestions.

We originally planned to only calculate the daily average for those days which you have actually spent money on. This was intentional, but lately we have been thinking about reworking that. The benefit is that if your trip goes longer than planned, or shorter, then you still get an accurate average. But the downside is that if there are days in the middle, those don’t get counted in the average. For now you could enter an expense with $0 for that day and it will adjust the average accordingly.

As for adding extra supplies… that’s a great idea. We’ll add that to our todo list.

You can actually check off activities as having been paid for, but only once the date for that activity has passed. When that happens, you will see a checkmark next to the activity. Clicking it will copy it over to your list of actual expenses.

I hope that helps! Thanks for your feedback. Please let us know if you think of anything else.

• Kristy says:

Great tool and I am happy to input costs, but I have a suggestion (or actually two)

You should include a category for health care. Many people end up having to visit hospitals, clinics, doctors and dentists while on the road and it is always good to know that you can expect in terms of costs.

Second I see you are already working on separate categories based on more data such as luxury, budget, business. Can I also suggest family?

Thanks and keep up the hard work and I will do my best to continue to contribute data for you!

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Thanks for the feedback Kristy! I really like your suggestion for a health care category and will add it shortly. Regarding a “family” category, we actually break trip types into “business” and “personal” (which would include family trips). Trip expenses are “budget”, “mid-range”, and “luxury”. You can currently search for costs by budget type, and eventually you will be able to search by trip type as well. We also plan to include group size in the search as data becomes available. This would include “solo travelers”, “couples” and “groups.” Thanks again for the feedback!

Laurie

• JPeteQ says:

I’d like to see an option for cruises. I’d rather put in the total cost of the cruise rather than break it down by day. There’s no option for at sea days either, so when I have two of them on my trip, two cities look like they get extra days.

I’d also like to see an option for travel insurance. I put it under health care, but it covers everything, so that isn’t totally accurate.

Also, it’d be nice to see the travel costs shown differently than the location – if it showed cost to get from A to B, then return costs from B to A instead of how I had to do it now, which was set just the destination city. You wouldn’t need a box for number of days either.

Another thing I noticed, is if I put in two days at something, it didn’t seem to double the per day cost. So if my daily cost was $100 but I put in two days, it would still show on my itinerary as $100.

I love the idea of this site and I can’t wait to use it more! I hope my data helps.

• Budget Your Trip Admin says:

Thanks for the suggestions!
      - We’ll look into adding more options for cruisers and other all inclusive tours.
      - Your travel insurance suggestion is great and I will add the category shortly.
      - We’ve been looking into different ways to break down transportation costs and will consider these suggestions as we update the website.
      - Regarding the last comment, if you enter $100 and 2 days, that is $100 per day, not $100 total. I believe the “daily cost” you mention is the daily average cost, which would in your example remain $100 a day. The total expenditure should increase by $200. Does that clear things up?

Thanks!
      Laurie

• Sara says:

I have only just started but it seems as if I can only budget once I get to my main location. What if I am driving there and it takes a couple of days. I would like to be able to budget my gas, meals, etc. I also think it would be great to have a gas calculator for one area to another. I will keep trying to figure it all out.

• Hi Sara,
      You should be able to enter any purchase or expense you make and associate it with your current location. So, if you buy gas or food somewhere along the way, you can simply choose that town that you in, even if it is your home town. When prompted to enter your expenses, search for the name of that town instead of your final destination.

Our system contains over 150,000 cities around the world. If you can’t find the specific town you are in, you can either choose a nearby town, or let us know about it and we can add that new town to our database. You might not find very small towns in our database (populations with less than 1000 people), but we’re happy to add more if you need us to.

Thanks for the other suggestions, we’ll add them to our list of additions to make the site great. And thanks for using Budget Your Trip, let us know if you have any more questions or comments!

• gkeato says:

you need to add Ho Chi Min city

• Sarah says:

I think the budget for Laos is EXTREMELY high- $28/day! Holy! My spending ranged from $4-$15/day … $15 being a very nice guesthouse. Food is dirt cheap!

• Bryan says:

The budgets for each city and country come from the actual budgets of real travelers. If you think the numbers are too high, then create a trip and enter your budget, and those numbers will then be reflected in the averages. We’re relying on experienced travelers like yourself to contribute!

(And if you’ve got some photos from your trip, we’d like to see those, too!)

• Armando says:

Why not another language? Ex. Spanish, Portoguese, Italian, etc. Many people around the world don’t speak english and need a help to travel. It’s just an idea, becouse my english is not good.
    Armando

• Bryan says:

Adding more languages to the site is something that has been on our To Do list for quite some time now. It’s a fairly complex process, unfortunately, but we will eventually get it done!

• Bryan Ropp says:

It would be helpful for me the traveler and your database if I could add cities that do not exist in your database…as it is I had to use Vancouver BC Canada instead of my actual Destination Surrey BC Canada.

• Bryan says:

We’ve definitely thought a lot about allowing travelers to add destinations to our database. However, there are a lot of issues with this. First of all, we generally want major metropolitan areas to be considered all the same city. This way, people can visit a place and get a much more thorough view of the travel costs for the area. Second, and more importantly, we want to make sure that places are not duplicated, and that places with the same names are not confused.

We’ve been doing a lot of work lately to add new locations to our database (which now has approximately 160,000 locations). All of our locations come from the open source geonames.org database, which is usually very accurate and comprehensive. However, it occasionally contains multiple listings for the same place, or has errors due to user-generated content.

If anyone has any cities that they can not find in our database, please DO LET US KNOW and we will be more than happy to add them. But at this time, we feel it is best to not let the general public add cities themselves.

I’ve just added Surrey now, too.

Thanks for your feedback, and happy travels!

• Hi Bryan,

thanks for this wonderful site, we are adding all our expenses since almost 7 month and it’s quite interesting to compare the different countries etc ..

We do have two feature request/bug reports:
    - I can’t seem to add values smaller than 1. If I enter a value like “0.5″ in the field “Local Currency” the field below shows “error”. We have a lot of expenses that are small then 1
    - Is there a way to automatically extend the amount of fields in the “Bulk Upload Form” once you reach the last field? Many times we have to fill a second or even a third page for the same day by pressing “Add More Activities”. Especially on slow Internet connections this can be quite time consuming.

What do you think? Thanks again, great work!
    David&Karin

• Bryan says:

Thanks for letting us know, I’ll take a look at both of those as soon as possible. Hope you’re having a great trip!

Update: I’ve fixed these issues, now you can convert values less than 1.0 and you’ll be able to submit up to 30 items on the bulk upload form.

• Shannon M says:

I read all the comments and replies so I knew what not to repeatedly ask for ;)

Ok that being said I am going to repeat something anyway :P

I’d like to see the ability to track insurance costs (as another person suggested) but usually this item covers the whole trip not per day so I don’t know how you would calculate this per trip day or what because some people extend their insurance if their trip takes longer.

I also noticed there is an option to track itnercity, local and international transportation (I mentioned this on twitter) what isn’t clear is whether I should put in the destination or the departure? (someone suggested that you should make it possible to put in the previous city you were just in and your destination and most trips take 1 day unless you’re sailing, driving or on a long distance train, etc so I don’t know that you would do a daily average unless you’re buying food enroute.

I can’t seem to figure out where/how I would track/input transportation costs for the start of my trip, so again as I mentioned before would I put in the origin or the destination?

Oh yeah, here’s another suggestion I realize that the cost tracking is supposed to be either in your default currency or the local currency (which makes sense) and then there are some countries who use other currencies unofficially and then SOME countries have more than one official currency (or so I thought?); so anyway perhaps allow me to input the cost of a particular item in the currency I purchased it in otherwise I will have to convert it (well guess I will have to anyway) how does this site determine conversion rates?

• Bryan says:

Hi Shannon, and thanks for your input. I’ll try to answer your questions one at a time:
      - As for insurance, we’re trying to avoid having too many categories, so you could put it under health care or living expenses. But perhaps this does warrant a new category, so we’ll discuss it here and come up with something.
      - Also with regards to your insurance question, we do not offer the ability to spread a cost out over time. This is too complex and confusing for most people, so for now you can just pick a date. Perhaps the first day of the trip?
      - With transportation, it doesn’t matter if you choose the origin or destination. But either way, you should probably be consistent and always do it the same way. On our trips, we often do it for the destination. Perhaps the best way to approach our system is to think in terms of a large spreadsheet. Every cost has a location, date, and category. Then we can total everything up, calculate averages, split stuff up by date or category, etc.
      - For currencies, every country has one currency in our system. We know that some countries unofficially have multiple currencies, but for these you’re going to have to do the math in your head, sorry. Currencies are instantly converted when you enter the cost according to a fairly recent exchange rate. It’s often very recent, but sometimes it might be a few days old due to system caching and latency. Most of the time, any delay won’t matter because most currencies don’t fluctuate that rapidly. If you find a country that you think is using the wrong currency, please let us know as soon as possible.

Thanks for your feedback, and let us know if you have any more questions or suggestions!

• Shannon M says:

one other suggestion I noticed your site goes fast and slow quite regularly I don’t think its my end because it happens often and only with this site.

• Catharine says:

Firstly want to say thank you as this is a fantastic concept. I have been struggling to budget for our year RTW trip so it is great to have all the city averages to hand.
    As we are travelling for a year there is a lot of info to input and a lot of days to repeat. Is there a way to do bulk deletes or bulk amends if you make an error, ie you have entered 30 days accommodation for a location but want to amend the price or delete all the accommodation entries and re-enter them.
    Thanks again

• Bryan says:

Thanks for using our site Catherine! We’re currently working on a number of fixes and upgrades, and bulk delete/edit is on the list of stuff to get done soon. Sorry for the inconvenience!

• Matt says:

It would be a lot easier to use if you could set multiple items during the same “session”. For example, if I am trying to budget for 14 days in City X – it would be nice to just type in City X for [the days I'll be there] and then fill out the amount for every expense: accommodation, food, transportation, etc. and then save it.

Instead of currently having to type in the city, enter the budget for food, select the days, save it….Open a new instance, enter the budget for hotels, select the days, save it… Open a new instance, enter the budget for [whatever], select the days again, save it again… etc.

You even list average expenses for every category on the side bar when the city is selected, the user should be able to check off which ones they want to add, adjust the amounts, select the dates, and it should be added to the budget all at once.

Mass deletes would be really helpful too.

• Ashley says:

First of all, I love your site. I’ve been using it for over a year to track our RTW expenses. I would like to embed a pie chart of category expenses into my blog, but am unhappy with how it looks… the colours are too similar to one another, so people can’t just determine which category is which at a glance. I would like to see each category be a unique colour in the pie chart.